Almonds, Almonds Everywhere!August 1, 2012 No Comments
According to the Almond Board of California, consumers are most likely to be introduced to almonds through confectioners! Hurrah for us, because we get to help people enjoy one of the yummiest and healthiest snacks around. Almonds have some major health benefits that make it a worthwhile snacking option. Here are just a few of those benefits:
- Good for brain: Almond is a source of many nutrients which help in development of the brain.
- Regulates cholesterol: Regular consumption of almonds helps to increase the level of high density lipoproteins (HDL) and reduce the level of low density lipoproteins (LDL), thereby effectively controlling cholesterol levels.
- Good for heart: Mono-saturated fat, protein and potassium contained in almonds are good for the heart. Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant and reduces the risk of heart diseases. The presence of magnesium in almonds helps to avoid heart attacks.
- Regulates blood pressure: Potassium present in almond helps to regulates blood pressure. Almonds are very low in sodium which also helps in containing blood pressure.
- Prevention of cancer: Almond improves the movement of food through the colon, thereby preventing colon cancer.
- Protection against diabetes: Almonds also help in reducing the rise in sugar and insulin levels after meals. This offers protection from diabetes.
- Good in pregnancy: Almond contains folic acid. Folic acid helps to reduce the incidence of birth defects in newborn babies.
- Prevention of constipation: Almonds are rich in fibre. Like most other fibre rich food, almonds also help in preventing constipation.
- Boosts energy: The presence of manganese, copper and Riboflavin helps in energy production.